Monday, April 12, 2010

SCENEOLOGY: Hollywood Undead


While it's a bitter pill for many old ppl who get angry and confused by current youth culture, it is very easy to trace the line from all the highly respected, legendary hardcore bands of our youth to the neon-merch-encrusted, autotuned bands of today. This is the first installment of a new feature called SCENEOLOGY that will do exactly that, hopefully enraging some oldz in the process. Today is YeahYouKnowIt's 21st birthday, and Hollywood Undead is her favorite band, so I figured it would be fitting to kick it off with the nearly platinum-selling crunkcore band.

--

My favorite HU song, "Everywhere I Go"

Straight out of the greater Los Angeles area (including my AZN's hometown, Victorville), HU is perhaps the best example of how clearly the lineage extends from the fossilcore of the 80s to the second stage of Warped Tour 2010. In essence, it goes like this: 80s fossilcore (Black Flag, Minor Threat, Antidote) begat the Beastie Boys, who showed middle class white ppl that it was OK to like rap (via Public Enemy, Rakim, and EPMD). The Beasties wrote catchy rap/rock songs about partying and being ignorant, which inspired Limp Bizkit, Crazy Town, and their nerdy cousins Linkin Park. Meanwhile, white trash rap (ICP, Eminem, and Kottonmouth Kings) gained steam while Necro and Ill Bill brought the NYHC influence to the table. Put it all in a blender and presto-- Hollywood Undead!

For more detail, here's a crude diagram I sketched out while watching HGTV with my AZN:

Please note how I worked in Vengeance Rising and DC Talk


Did we miss any influences/sources of inspiration?? Do HU know who Murphy's Law and Doggy Style are? What is J3T's favorite song on the Antidote 7"?? What band should Sceneology tackle next?? What should YYKI do for her 21st bday [via not rly drinking]?

11 comments:

  1. I am so in love with this post -- especially that incredible diagram (complete with a nod to the Biebz!)... It reminds me of our long talks in my apartment, tracing the roots of 'scene' (a post we still need to do!)... The last few months have been full of a lot of really great things for me and I definitely have Sarge and the boys of SYWH to thank <3 I'm sups stoked for more Sceneologies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude. Quicksand. That shit was surely a pretty big influence on the rap metal dudes which lead to this crunkcore stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, so that means no more underage drinking for yeahyouknowit? The end of an era...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right my friend! And last night I didn't even get carded, so it was kinda a buzzkill, but that's the way life goes I guess! About a week ago I was indifferent to 21 but yesterday I was ecstatic. I'll report back in a week to see how it's going! xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why do they wear masks? MF doom? Slipknot? Phantom of the opera? are they all burn victims? I thought eminem was in this thing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha they actually joke about how Da Kurlzz is a burn victim and they all chose to wear masks so he didn't feel like the outcast. But no, they're all quite fine sans mask <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. how can you be a scene kid and not underage drink? I thought that was the criteria (i.e. being under 21)

    Best Charlie Scene lines are in "bottle and a gun"

    ReplyDelete
  8. You forgot suburban white peoples love of bad catchy pop songs. That definitely plays into peoples love of HU.

    Also the love of irony, if music doesn't take it self seriously then its much less embarrassing to like it, like hair metal or 2liveJews.

    ReplyDelete
  9. diagram is good but I doubt most of them have heard Doggy Style, Crippled Youth or Antidote or Token Entry ('bad album") - though I know for a fact that the dudes were very into Strife

    ReplyDelete
  10. You forgot to include the white trash eurodisco influence. Acts like Snap, 2 Unlimited and most of all Scooter were the first ones to mix electronic beats with (bad) rapping and chanted choruses and had a preference for fluorescent track suits.

    ReplyDelete
  11. snap wasnt white
    neither was 2 unlimited

    ReplyDelete